See the fallen leaves in wind, the fluttering butterfly, nature plays.
Amber my garden fox apparently is into night-time gardening, playing with some garden gloves.
Early this morning, I found a garden glove mysteriously abandoned on the lawn. I discover the contents of a box scattered across the ground in another part of the garden, the second glove amongst them. The mystery is likely Amber my garden fox.
In myth the fox is a mischievous playful spirit, to the fox everything in the world is a potential toy to play with. A fox used my tent as a plaything one night, chewing through the guy ropes so that the tent fell down on me in a rainstorm.
Fox sliding down a conveyor belt in Germany. (Copyright is Duncan Usher.)
In the UK Daily Mail is the story of a young fox that put to good use an abandoned conveyor belt in Germany. The face of the fox shows a creature having fun.
Everywhere in nature you see play: the wind upon the fallen leaves; the butterfly fluttering from flower to flower; the flickering flames of the fire; the actions of growing plants; the playful interactions of wild animals in their environment.
The playful child
The great philosopher Heraclitus provided for the world a series of cryptic statements of his observations of the patterns in nature. In one of his fragments he said:
“Eternity is like a child playing, playing chess, the kingdom belongs to the child.”
Heraclitus considered that nature was the result of two major forces: war and the logos. Heraclitus used fire and a child as symbols for the logos, a pattern that determines motion and self-organisation of everything in nature. The logos plays like a child, playing its pattern against other patterns, so that the result is the sort of paradoxical random yet self-ordering world we inhabit.
Nothing is deterministic, just common.
Between random chaos and the playful child playing out patterns according to its own child-like way, nothing in nature is deterministic. Determinism is a human delusion, humanity can only use inductive empirical observation to base truth upon common repeating patterns, with a reservation that a pattern is only common, but may do something completely different next time. Heraclitus says that the logos is often hidden, and manifests itself in war, being unexpected and surprising. As I write this article Pebbles my cat positions herself unexpectedly under my seat, I tread on her tail; a kitty yelp as she runs off; playful logos and oppositional war surprises me and the cat; I restore harmony with my cat using cat treats.
Our DNA are like counters in a game.
Scientists have recently discovered that only 8.2% of the human genome is active, the remaining 91.8% of our DNA is so-called junk DNA. Your DNA is a pattern, a narrative of your entire ancestral history from your first ancestor in the primeval soup. Each gene in your DNA is like a game counter, some in play, most currently sleeping but ready to come into play at any moment. I believe that current theories of evolution are missing something; I believe our DNA is more intelligent than we currently think, that there is a childlike intelligence in DNA that plays chess with our genes, testing patterns against our warlike environment. Only a playful child could bring about an outcome of turning a T-Rex dinosaur into a chicken.